Monday 18 January 2010

Online Fraud

Knitwits Yarns knitwitspenzance.co.uk

When I came into the shop on Saturday I found a letter from HSBC Card Services with details of an online transaction that had taken place back in December and which, apparently, hadn't had the consent of the cardholder.

To be honest, I didn't think much of it. I quickly found the order details and phoned the customer. She said she'd had no contact from her bank so I phoned my bank and they said that department wasn't open on Saturdays!

Phoned back today and it transpires the transaction was, indeed, fraudulent. The cardholder's name and my customer's name are in no way alike, or even similar. The money will be credited back to the genuine cardholder and I am £45 down.

I've got so many emotions running through me, I don't know where to start. Do knitters really do this? If so, it's not the knitting community I know and love. Is it a huge mistake and she's going to phone me up all apologetic and confused? Somehow I doubt it. Can I trust other orders in the future? I sincerely hope so and trust it was a "one off".

I have had items stolen from the shop before and it's just as devastating and leaves the same foul taste in the mouth. I won't get my money back and she's sitting there knitting (and probably laughing) with her rather beautiful wool.

.................... and it started off as quite a nice day.


PS: Dawn from Portugal, if you're reading this, I've tried replying to your email but all my replies come back - not sure why but the system doesn't like your email address! Place your order, enter your card details and address and the system will then calculate your postage. Only, once it's worked it out do you "Submit" the order. Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment