Tuesday 2 February 2010

Knitting for Teenage Boys

Knitwits Yarns knitwitspenzance.co.uk

Eldest son (G) is in the throes of the ghastly GCSE's and will be joining the VIth form in September. He has a trial day tomorrow when they're allowed to wear "smart casual" clothes as opposed to uniform. This, obviously, has led to a debate along the lines of "what the *@%$"* am I going to wear". His father has lent him a rather large sweater and a rather smart tie so he's all set but then the immortal line came up last night:

(This could do with a fanfare really):

"Mum, you'd better start knitting me a blue v-neck sweater for VIth form".

Can we all just put the kettle on, sit down quietly with a cup of tea (or coffee) and possibly a chockie bikkie and take a few quiet moments to enjoy that sentence. A 16 (nearly 17) year old young man has asked his Mother to knit him a sweater. I haven't knitted him a sweater since he was about 4 and it had Noddy on the front (T's had Big Ears, just for the record).

But now, of course, I'm in a sweat - it should, obviously, be Cornish Organic but the VIth form centre is quite hot and he might boil and take it off and lose it and I would cry a lot. On top of which, Cornish Organic is hand wash only - wise for a 17 year old? Possibly not. OK - so, possibly Life DK - good, hard wearing, 25% wool, machine wash and tumble dry - practical, a very good yarn but he might love something a bit softer? Stylecraft Luxury Pure Merino DK - gorgeous, soft, warm, machine wash but no tumble dry (that's OK, I have an Aga). Maybe I should knit all 3. Oh lord, what does the owner of a wool shop use to knit her son a sweater - which he's asked for?

Whilst we all ponder that one, I can tell you that we had a Katia delivery today so loads more lovely, fantastic, incredibly popular Azteca - trust me, you all have to try this wool - it's to die for!













One new colour has come in as well so I'll let you know when that's on the site.

Also more Surprise:















Tonight I will be mostly knitting my Gansey and dreaming of navy blue wool for a teenager.

No comments:

Post a Comment