Thursday 4 July 2013

We Are Back!!

Knitwits Yarns knitwitspenzance.co.uk

We actually arrived back in Cornwall a week ago but it's taken that long for my brain to reach the same time zone as my body.  We were cycling in Cambodia but had to go via Thailand first as it's still impossible to fly direct into any airport in Cambodia from London (who knew?).  I shall spare you the entire travelogue (although it was so amazing I could go on about it for hours and hours) but will simply give you edited photographic highlights (we took hundreds of photos, obviously).

Travelling by Long Tail Boat in Bangkok with Guy:
  

 Hellfire Pass (excavated by allied POW's during WWII):
The Bridge on The River Kwai: 

Sunrise at Angkor Wat:


Cycling round to the various temples (it was hot!):

The lovely town of Siem Reap:

Yummy - deep fried tarantulas (we didn't try them!!) - it's important to remember that Cambodians have, literally, starved in our life-time so they will (and do) eat everything!:

The Royal Palace in Phnom Penh (the lovely pink blossom trees are, in fact, plastic!):

A magnificent monastary:

Ploughing a rice paddy:

Cycling through the rice paddies:

I fell in (I blame Tom - he stopped in front of me!):

One of our hotel "rooms":

It rained occasionally:


I cannot recommend Cambodia too highly - they have achieved an extraordinary amount in the 14 years since their 60 year civil war finally ended.  The people are wonderful, with a terrific sense of humour, the temples are extraordinary, 2 of the hotels we stayed in were among the best I've stayed in anywhere in the world and it was ludicrously cheap.  

Go now - and enjoy!  

(Cycling is optional but I would recommend it - we got totally off the beaten track to some pretty remote villages where all the children rushed out to say "Hello" - it was amazing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment